Villa Manuzzi is located in the village of Mensa Matellica part of of Ravenna township , bordering the town limits of Cesena , Forlì and Bertinoro . It is a nineteenth-century farm interesting under the architectural and landscape profile. The villa is reached through a tree-lined parkway adorned with roses bushes at the end of which there are two masonry columns. The original building is placed at the beginning of 1800. The Villa was purchased by Mr . Ernesto Manuzzi from the State in April 21st, 1869. It was completely renovated in the 1880s. The main buildings in the Villa area are the Villa itself, the House in the Park and the Lemon Tree Conservatory (“Limonaia”) with its cellar. The Villa is a rectangular main building on two floors and is completed by a turret on the front of the main entrance which emphasizes the centrality of the hallway passerby. The two lateral bodies, on one floor, are covered with terraces. The main rooms have ornate walls and ceilings. Particularly significant is the presence of neo -liberty colored glass in the entrance hall and stairwell . Further work on the decorations were made in the 1950s, after the war, when the House, once summer residence of the family, became the permanent residence of the last heirs. The House in the Park is a rural building with a rectangular plan on two floors with a gabled roof beams. The load-bearing masonry is entirely in bricks. The home area’s ceilings are made of wood and whitewashed bricks; in the area of agricultural services are made in ” volterranea ” style small vaults made with iron reinforced bricks. The “Limonaia” has a “U” plant and is the result of the growth in time of a smaller size original construction. It was used up to Second World War years as lemon tree conservatory, tool shed and “bigataia “, that is breeding place of silkworms. Below it in the basement there is the cellar. The most interesting aspect in the Villa Manuzzi complex is, however, the context in which it is located. In these places It is still, in fact, clearly visible the peculiar structure of the fields dating back to Roman times (the so called “centuriata” structure). Here, the complex of Villa Manuzzi is an example of a “Quadra” ( 370×370 meters area). The fields ( ” jugerum ” ) are arranged according to the exact north / south axis (Ravenna / Cesena) set by the direction of Dismano Canal. The geometric organization has a reason based on the best agronomic exposure to the sun and rational water drainage . Villa Manuzzi is an example of how the land division constitutes the backbone of the territory in which it is located, that remains unchanged through the centuries also when the economic and social situation is profoundly changed. This continuity of vineyard rows , ditches , roads aligned and perpendicular to each other, is the demonstration that what works tends to persist. This principle of operation is still valid because the Roman agrarian arrangement was closely related to the geo-morphological and hydrographic conditions and ends up becoming a “second nature.” The land use maps of 1835 document the extensive presence of vineyard and hemp cultures that is then plots of cultivated land interspersed at regular intervals by vineyard rows. The hemp cultivation is evidenced by the presence of two tanks of masonry, the ” maceri ” on the back of the garden of the Villa, used for the hemp processing. Over the past 20 years, the Villa Manuzzi’s crops were peaches, fruit trees and cereals. Another peculiarity of Villa Manuzzi is the “Romance Garden” that extends itself over 1 hectar surface around the buildings . It is made by centuries old trees, long hedges , ponds , hills and grasslands . A garden that does not suggest the domination of nature but a different approach that considers the nature the environment in which the men live, rejoice , establish emotional relationships. A place of union between art and nature.
Mensa Matellica (Ravenna)