The first news about MerendoniPalace date back to 1207 but the current structure of the building originated in eighteenth century, although inspired by Renaissance models. Once belonged to the Dolfi, Manfredinisinger started its restoration in 1769, thanks to the money earned during his stay in Russia, but it remained unfinished at the time of his death. The property was transferred to count Merendoniin 1773 which restructured it from 1775 under the guidance of the architect and scenographerRaimondoCompagnini. Compagninirealized the façade, the staircase and interior rooms in sixteenth-century style, especially appreciated at the times in Bologna. Many famous artists participated to the Palace decoration. At the top of the staircase, a beautiful wooden ceiling with balcony surrounds the painting which depicts Diana on the moon chariot, due to Gaetano Gandolfi and realized between 1775 and 1782. DomenicoPiò, is, however, the author of the statues situated on the bend of the staircase and at the top of the lodge. The rooms of the palace are richly frescoed with paintings by Giuseppe Jarmorini, GiuseppeValiani, LuigiCini (the latter is a painter of XIX century). In the summer of 1819 lived in the ground floor of the palace Merendoni George Byron, to be near his lover Teresa GambaGuiccioli. In the same year the building was acquired by the merchant and banker Insom. In the second half of the century it became home of Aldrovandi-Marescotti family.
Via Galliera, 26
40121 – Bologna