Michiel Palace

The history

Michiel family’s founder is believed to be Angelo Frangipane, Flavio Anicio Pier Leone Frangipane’s son, a roman senator, who arrived in Venice with his two brothers in the V century. He was called by the population Michiel, probably thanks to the same qualities of strength and goodness connected to the namesake archangel. The old and noble Michiel family provided three dogi to the Venice republic, one was forced to abdicate and another one was killed during people rebellion. Michiel family grew up different clergyman too, as the beatified Anna and Marcancantonio Michiel.
Palazzo Michiel del Brusà is situated on the left side of Canal Grande between Palazzo Michiel dalle Colonne and Palazzo Smith Mangilli Valmarana. The added name “del Brusà” means in the Venetian dialect “burned” and it comes from the huge fire that destroyed the palace in 1774.
It was rebuilded three years after thanks to the funds of the Venetian Signoria. It was possible to reuse just some part of the original building, for example the beautiful Gothic windows of the XV century. The façade of palazzo Michiel del Brusà on Gran Canal is perfectly symmetrical. There are two noble floors and each of them has a luxurious balcony; the windows are also decorated with typical Gothic ornaments on the arches.   
The inside rooms are painted most of all by Jacopo Guarana, a famous Italian painter, disciple of Gianbattista Tiepolo. He worked in Venice between 1740 and 1790; during these years he distinguished himself for both the religious frescos in the churches and the profane ones in the Venetian houses.
At the second floor of Palazzo Michiel, on the ceiling, there is a famous fresco made by Guarana which represents the mythological group of Zefiro and Flora. Probably it is connected with an happy event of the story of Michiel family, in particular when Carlo Andrea Michiel married Caterina Pisani in 1802.

Strada Nuova – Compo Santi Apostoli
30124 – Venezia
(250m dal Ponte Rialto o dal Canal Grande)

Gallery

Floor Plan