Mora Palace

The history

Palazzo Mora is an ancient building situated in Sestier Cannaregio, between the San Felice Church and Canal di Noal. After the 11th century this area started having a big importance, both as a passage for the boat as for the people.
The first known owner of the building was Andrea Contarini, a member of one of the most ancient and important family of Venice. He sold Palazzo Mora in 1714 and was bought by Mora family in 1716. The branch of the Mora family which used to live in this area was one of the most well known in Venice from 1500 to 1780. Palazzo Mora, as it is known nowadays, is the result of the unification of two previous different buildings made by Bartolomeo Mora between 1716 and 1737.??From the second half of the 17th Century this Palazzo started to obtain a bigger social role thanks to the families that started to celebrate the importance of their lineage. In particular, the Mora family which was upgraded of the Patrician title in those years, thought that was essential show their prosperity and their power making their house bigger. That’s also why the part of the building in front of the garden was used as a Public Library.
In one of the room at the first floor of Palazzo Mora there is an important fresco. It was made around 1720-1770. This art work is very suggestible. The scene is harmonious and represents one couple which flutter on a cloud in the middle of the ceiling with all around angels and other winged divinity. Probably is a wedding allegory and the couple, which is represented dressed with clothing of the XVII century, are new married. Some details of the fresco, as the wings of a figure on the right, remember the fresco “Trionfo di Zefiro e Flora” which is in Ca’ Pesaro, Venice. It has been realized by a famous Venetian artist of that period, Tiepolo, however for Palazzo Mora’s art work there isn’t certainty about the paternity.

Strada Nuova, 3659
30124 – Venezia

Gallery

Floor Plan