Palazzo Bembo is located on the Canal Grande, San Marco side, a few steps away from the Rialto bridge. It was built at the end of the fourteenth century by the noble Bembo family, one of the oldest families of the Venetian aristocracy, present in the city as early as the seventh century.
The red façade is considered a good example of Venetian Ghotic, a style of architecture originated in 14th century Venice with the confluence of Byzantine styles from Constantinople, Arab influences from Moorish Spain and early Gothic forms from mainland Italy.
Among the most distinguished members of this family we can include Pietro Bembo (1470-1547), a scholar humanist who was also elected cardinal. It was an influential figure in the development of the Italian language. Bembo’s ideas were also decisive in the formation of the most important secular musical form of the 16th century, the madrigal.
It was also important Giovanni Bembo (1543 – 1618), son of Agostino Bembo and Chiara Del Basso. In 1615, Giovanni Bembo was elected as 92nd Doge of Venice and remained in charge until his death.
Over the centuries, the building has been remodeled several times; particularly important was the restoration of the seventeenth century, however externally it still retains the original structure with its three levels of lancet windows, colorfulness, a tripartite facade and lodges.
The building, perfectly restored, today is the home of art, culture and education. Regularly hosts world class exhibitions.
Riva del Carbon, 4793
30124 – Venezia
(70m dal Ponte di Rialto, sul Canal Grande)